This study found out the importance of Ethics and social responsibility in a business organization, to be precise the NICON Insurance co-operation Enugu state.
To make this study successful, questionnaire, interview questions and review of related literature were employed as research tools. Data collected were analyzed, using frequency and percentage method after displaying some on table.
The research highlighted the importance of ethics and social responsibility in one organization and the major findings among others are:
- The staff are ethically and socially responsible in their dealings in the organization.
- The staff complains of some inadequacies that stops them from being ethically and socially responsible.
- Some of the management unethical practices.
Finally, the researcher believed some important suggestion, that may help to solve the problems of unethical practice in the organization.
- The management should bring up a panel to look into and solve the problems of unethical practices.
- The management should allow this panel to be autonomous in their work.
- The organization should expand their ethics and social responsibility within the organization, community they operate and to some rural areas.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content
- Background of the study
- Statement of the problem
- Significance of the study
- Purpose of the study
- Scope of the study
- Research questions
- Definition of terms
- The importance of ethics and social responsibilities to a secretary in a business organization.
- Ethical requirements of the secretarial profession
- Ethical matters related to functional areas of business organization
- Involvement of government in ethics and social responsibilities
- Government control and business ethics in organizations.
- Social responsibilities of NICON insurance cooperation
- Ethical responsibilities of NICON Insurance cooperation.
- Summary of literature.
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
- Design of study
- Area of study
- Sample size
- Personal interview
- Validation of the instrument
- Administration of the instrument
- Data analysis technique
- Data presentation and analysis
- Research questions
FINDINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS AND CONCLUSIONS
- Areas of further studies
1.1 Background of the study
Ethics and social responsibilities of a business and their organization has been extremely important to every society and Nigeria at large. Every society makes sure that those who engage in any form of business should engage in good morals in their daily activities. Ethics and social responsibilities are related concepts that pay special attention on moral conscience of business. The idea of ethical responsibilities has to do with those issues and problems that concerns people in business, and their faithfulness to their organization and to their customers also. Social responsibilities and its problem is the interest and need of every society.
There are laid down rules that govern every profession. In enabling us understand what “ethics” actually means, we shall quickly look at the following phenomena that could rapidly be misconceived as ethics. We are referring to such phenomena as law and morality: Laws are laid down rules made by administrations, communities, governments etc. And the motives of these laws are primarily to regulate or check discrepancies or misconduct as may be observed in human character or behavior. Summarily; laws improves human character, which when absent could bring about disorderliness and chaos.
Morality on the other hand is related to the opinion principal of good and evil as it affect human conduct. It comes from the mind to differentiate good from evil. We can in other words refer to morals as love and ethical virtues. Finally morals involves individual character considered by the winning standard of moral honesty.
Ethics has been defined as the principal of right and wrong conduct by the American heritage dictionary (second college edition). It is also the general study of the entire nature of morals and the specific moral choices made by a person as it affect his relationship with his fellow individuals.
Those used in an organization in achieving it’s objectives, makes up the workforce of that organization and also of competence of any organizational objectives.
A very high level of performance and efficiency has to be attained by the staff as a workforce: Efficiency is a function of so many different factors like, political, social, societal and economical, just to mention but a few. The staff is an essential factor of production in any given establishment since their proficiency and contributions can either promote or demote the efficiency of an establishment. In the eyes of an ordinary person, a staff could be considered as a group of individual or persons that operate in an establishment in order to achieve a common purpose. They also indulge in accounting, managerial and clerical functions.
A good staff is one that uses his intellect and positive opinions to make suitable decision not beyond the scope of approved governance without having to be monitored and also with a reasonable degree of moral standards.